Young children are often found struggling with problems such as cough and cold. It is believed that immunity in children is weak, due to which they catch a cold quickly and start coughing. Some people adopt home remedies for this, while some give medicines to children after consulting a doctor. If your child also has a cough often, then this article of Homechildcare is especially for you. In this article, we explain Children’s cough: Reasons and home remedies in India
Why do children cough?
When the airway is closed due to a blockage, coughing removes this obstruction and provides relief to the throat. Cough helps clean out any harmful substances such as dust or food particles, which for some reason go in with the breath. It also helps in removing excess secretions like mucus from the respiratory system. When there is discharge, it is known as a wet cough, otherwise, it is called dry cough.
Causes children to cough?
There are several reasons why children may cough. Below we are giving 10 reasons for cough in newborns and children:
- Common cough: It is a common cough and when it starts to heal, a dry cough takes over. Many viruses are responsible for the common cough, of which rhinovirus is the most common.
- Whooping cough: It also brings out mucus along with cough. Along with this, the sound comes while taking long breaths. Cough is caused by Bordetella pertussis bacteria, which persists for a few days, sometimes for months.
- Krupp: It is a cough caused by swelling in the airways. Because of this, the child has trouble breathing.
- Lung or sinus infection: Lung infection causes phlegm in the lungs, causing a wet cough. At the same time, sinus infection also causes phlegm and starts coming to the throat. The following are the reasons for lung infection:
- Allergies: A cough can occur even if the child is allergic. Most children are allergic to dust, which can cause coughing.
- Asthma: Asthma can also be a cause of cough. It feels heaviness in the chest and there is difficulty in breathing.
- TB: TB disease can also be the main cause of cough. If you have been coughing for a long time and are not recovering even after treatment, it may be a sign of TB.
- Gastroesophageal reflux: The cough caused by this will be wet, but it does not produce mucus. Gastroesophageal reflux causes cough when stomach acid enters the food pipe and goes to the throat. In such a situation, the child may have problems with belching and hiccups.
- Cystic fibrosis: This causes persistent cough, in which a lot of mucus comes out, which make tissue mucus, sweat, and digestive juices, they are harmed by cystic fibrosis.
- Aspiration: It is a sudden cough after eating or drinking anything. Also, if something falls on the child’s throat, such a cough may also occur.
How to treat cough in children?
Cough in children can be treated in the following ways:
- Doctors also prescribe medicines for conditions like asthma and cystic fibrosis. These drugs help reduce the intensity of the disease, which relieves cough. In addition, these drugs can be used to reduce the effect of acid reflux.
- Surgery can also be performed in acute conditions such as congenital heart defects, severe gastroesophageal reflux, and craniofacial abnormalities.
- In the case of a cough, the child should be fully rested. This helps in fighting viral infections.
- Your doctor may run your child’s antibiotic course in a cough caused by a bacterial infection. How many days and how much to run, it depends on the disease and the age of the child.
- Analgesic medication such as acetaminophen may be given to relieve cough and fever.
Note – Do not give any medicine to your child without a doctor’s advice.
Ayurvedic Home remedies for cough in an infant in India
Apart from this, by adopting some home remedies you can also help the child to get relief from cough. Below we are giving some easy and home remedies for children to get relief from cough:
1.Steam bath with essential oil:
Curing the baby during the night will give relief in cough. For this you have to:
- Steam in the bathroom and take the child to the bathtub.
- Now allow the child to play in the tub for a while so that he can take steam properly. For better results put a few drops of menthol and eucalyptus oil in the bathtub.
- This will open the baby’s chest and relieve cough.
Take baby Vicks Vaporb made of mild eucalyptus and menthol. Apply it on the baby’s back, chest, and throat before sleeping at night. This will give relief to the child.
When the child gets some relief from cough, give him sufficient liquid diet, because even if dehydrate, the child’s cough can increase. For this, you can give things like soup, smoothie, and fresh fruit juice to the child.
Herbal remedies are being adopted at home to cure cough for generations. If your baby is more than 12 months old, you can take the following treatment:
- Grind a few basil leaves and add honey to it and lick your baby. This will give relief to the child.
- Mixing ginger juice and lemon juice in lukewarm water can provide relief to the child’s throat.
For your information, let us tell you that over the counter medicines (OTC) are those which can be purchased without a doctor’s prescription.
How to prevent cough in children?
We are telling some important things, keeping in mind that you can save your child from cough.
Take care of cleanliness
When an infected person sneezes or coughs, bacteria can reach others through the air, causing viral spread. If anyone in the family has a cold or lung infection, keep your child away from them. Ask them to use a napkin or a handkerchief while sneezing or coughing. Always wash your hands before touching baby and baby items so that the virus does not spread.
Keep an eye on coughing: If the child is coughing due to smoke and dust, then keep him from coming in contact with them. If the child has asthma, then keep them away from places like dust and soil and pollution.
Timely medication is necessary to prevent cough caused by genetic diseases like asthma and cystic fibrosis. Whenever he has a cough, give him medicine immediately. For this, keep medicines with you.
When to take the child to the doctor?
In this way, due to proper treatment and adequate rest, children get relief in cough, but if you see the symptoms mentioned below, take the child to the doctor immediately –
- The child starts coughing while climbing stairs or walking.
- If the child starts vomiting while coughing.
- If a coughing child starts panting.
- After coughing, the baby’s lips turn blue for some time.
- If the child starts to faint after a very strong cough.
- The child has a fever above 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If the baby seems lethargic and cries too much.
- If there is a wheezing or whistling sound while coughing.
- The child does not eat properly and his appetite decreases.
- If a cough comes out with green color, red clots, or bad-smelling mucus.
If any of these symptoms appear in the child, contact the doctor immediately so that the symptoms can be identified and treated properly.
No, do not give your child any phlegm syrup or medicine of your choice. The US Food and Drug Administration specifically advises children under the age of two not to give cough medicine without doctor’s advice. These medicines can have a negative effect on the health of the child. The American Academy of Pediatrics states that cough medicine should be given to children up to the age of four only on the advice of a doctor.
Even though the cough is a common disease, it can prove to be painful at times. In this case, it is necessary to treat it at the right time. In this article, we have tried to answer the important questions related to cough in children.
The methods described here will help you in curing the child’s cough. If you need any more questions related to coughing in children, then you can ask us in the comment box.
1. Whooping cough can kill By Health university of Utah
2. Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) By children hospital of Philadelphia
3. What are the symptoms of GERD in infants? By National institute of diabetes and digestive and kidney diseases
4. About Cystic Fibrosis By Cystic fibrosis foundation
5. When to Give Kids Medicine for Coughs and Colds By FDA