It is more difficult to sell a product than to make it. For this, it is necessary to play with the mind of the people, and advertisements are made for this work by shedding money like water. You will also agree that children are affected quickly by these advertisements, whether they mean advertising or not. Every advertisement from toffee to car attracts children and they insist on taking it.
In this article of Homechildcare, we will discuss in detail the Good and bad effects of tv advertising on children’s behavior. Also, we will tell you some ways to protect children from its side effects.
First of all, it is important for you to know how advertisements affect your children.
How do advertisements affect children?
Television has become a new way of silencing children. When the child is crying or stubborn, just hold the TV remote in his hand, he immediately calms down. Thus, for many children reaching adolescence, the solution to all problems becomes television, mobile or computer.
However, whether they watch cartoons or any other program, they all get advertisements, which are made especially by focusing on them. According to research, in a year a child sees about 40 thousand or more advertisements.
Research has shown that both cartoon and movie characters have proved to be effective in focusing on children’s attention. As children get older, they become emotionally attached to these characters and advertised by them
Products tend to be attracted. In addition, companies offer many offers with their products that attract children, for example, toys found with candy, chocolates, and chips. Due to these offers, the children insist on buying those products.
You will be surprised to know that food and beverage companies spend about Rs. 1200 crores every year on an advertisement for products made for children. You can guess from this how big the advertising market is.
Impact of tv advertising on children’s behavior
Advertising can have both positive and negative effects on children and adolescents. While on one hand, they can have a bad effect on children’s play, eating, and physical activities, on the other hand, they also give them technical and social knowledge. We have explained these positive and negative effects here.
The positive impact of TV advertising on children’s behavior
Here we are talking about the positive effects of advertisements, which are made by keeping children in mind and with good objectives.
- Cleanliness advertisements encourage children to keep themselves and their surroundings clean.
- With the help of advertisements, children can understand the side effects caused by smoking and alcohol consumption. This can cause negative feelings for these things in them.
- Many advertisements create emotional attachment in children towards younger, handicapped, and financially vulnerable people.
- Some advertisements are made in view of the public service announcement. With these advertisements, children learn social etiquette such as respecting elders, practicality, and responsibilities towards society.
- With these advertisements, children also learn English and the Hindi alphabet and counting.
- At this age, children learn and remember things easily. Advertising gives them knowledge of new technologies.
- Due to the advice of eating a balanced diet in advertisements, children develop a habit of eating fruits and vegetables.
Note: All the effects stated above are based on people’s experiences. The positive effects of advertisements on children depend on their psychology, so we can say that they are not the same for all children. Also, there is no scientific research or evidence available to them.
The negative impact of TV advertising on children’s behavior
Every coin has two aspects, in the same way, advertising can have negative consequences, which affect children in some way.
- If the child’s family and social environment are negative, such as domestic violence or any form of intoxication in front of the child, then because of this, positive talk of advertisements can also have a negative effect on the child’s mind.
- The violence shown in advertisements can make children violent or instill fear in them.
- Most of the foods shown in advertisements have high-fat content and low nutritional content. This may cause obesity in children.
- Sometimes products that are not available to children, but are with their friends, may cause an inferiority complex.
- Gender and color differences are also encouraged in some advertisements. This has a negative impact on children’s thinking.
- Due to the advertisement, children can be more attracted to brands, which can make them think materialistic.
- Alcohol and cigarette advertisements may increase their craving for teenagers.
- Because of immature intelligence, children may consider the advertisement to be true, which may change the definition of truth for them.
These days, many news reports about the sexual offenses being committed in adolescence are read in the newspapers. The vulgarity shown in advertisements is behind this.
Note: The negative effects of advertisements on children depend on their psychology and are not the same at all.
How to protect children from the side effects of advertisements?
The side effects of advertisements on children also become a matter of concern for you. Each time the child insists, scolding, or killing him is not the solution. With the help of the following measures, you can protect your children from the side effects of advertisements.
- First, reduce the child’s screen time (TV viewing time). By doing this, he will spend less time in front of the TV and more time with his family and his friends.
- Take some time out of your busy routine, play with the child, and talk to him. If both of you go to the office and the child takes care of the babysitter, then come home and ask the child about his routine.
- Parents and family members need to take care that they do not fulfill every stubbornness of the child. You can encourage their stubbornness by doing so. If they insist, then try to put their mind elsewhere.
- If your child is two or three years old, you can change the channel during advertising. You can give him another cartoon or informative program.
- If your child is developing thinking ability, talk to him about advertisements. Tell him what the ad is about and what it aims to show.
- Try to explain the difference between the need and stubbornness of any product to the child.
- Pay attention to what the child is seeing. Focus on the program and advertisements, as well as what the child is talking about.
- Keep the child’s social and family environment right. As we have said, the impact of advertising on the mind of a child also depends on his social and family environment.
- Talk to your children about the impact of advertising and try to convince them about advertising strategies. By understanding their mental capacity and talking to them, you can protect them from the side effects of advertisements. Tell them about the positive effects, not just the side effects.
1. Amount, content and context of infant media exposure: A parental questionnaire and diary analysis by NCBI
2. Industry, Advertising, Media, and Public Education by NCBI
3. Television Advertising to Children by Australian Communications and Media Authority
4. Impact of media use on children and youth by NCBI