The parents get very much trouble after seeing the newborn in a fever. For the first time, many people who become parents do not know what to do if their baby gets a fever. Newborn fever is a common process, but when the baby is only a few weeks old and has a very high fever, it is pertinent to bother the parents. Fever in newborns also indicates that the baby’s body is fighting some kind of infection.
Symptoms of fever in a newborn baby
Warming of the baby’s forehead is a normal sign of fever, but sometimes even if the forehead of the baby is not hot, he may have a fever. A child’s behavior changes when he has a fever and he tends to be more irritable and nervous than normal days.
- The infant does not show interest in playing fever.
- The baby’s body feels warm.
- Changes in gold deposits
- The infant has trouble sleeping.
- It may also happen that the baby is sleeping more than usual.
- In fever, the baby becomes lethargic and less active.
- The baby may be crying more than usual.
- Changes in eating habits
- He eats less than normal days.
- It is less, but sudden spasms or seizures in the muscles can also be a symptom of a baby having a fever.
Newborn fever – Causes
Newborn fever should not be considered a disease. It can also be a sign of a problem. The baby’s fever is usually a sign that the infant’s body is fighting disease and that immunity is active.
- A baby’s fever is a reaction after vaccination.
- A child may develop fever due to several infections
- Intestinal infections, colds, and flu-like viral infections
- Blood bacterial infections and meningitis (meningitis) may also cause fever to the infant.
- Infant fever due to ear infection.
- Pneumonia is also the cause of fever in infants.
- Wearing more clothes and spending more time outside in the hot sun can also increase the body temperature of the baby.
- Urinary tract infection: A baby may also develop fever due to urinary tract infection.
In which temperature is the baby considered a fever
To understand the true state of the baby’s fever, it is very important to know what temperature of her body is considered fever. According to experts, the normal body temperature of the baby can range from 97 ° F (36.11 ° C) to 100.3 ° F (37.94 ° C). But if your newborn’s body temperature is higher than this, then it is considered a fever.
How to measure your baby’s body temperature?
There are many ways to measure the body temperature of a newborn baby, you can also measure the temperature of the baby by its mouth, ears, underarms (armpits) and anus. Experts recommend using a digital thermometer to measure your baby’s fever. Mercury thermometer should not be used to measure the fever of infants, because its breakdown may threaten the infant with mercury in the thermometer.
1. Check the temperature of the baby from the anus
The body temperature of the anus is measured to get accurate information about the body temperature of the infant and it is an easier technique than others.
To take the temperature from the anus, first, clean the thermometer. You can also use any soap and water or alcohol to clean it. With this technique, to know the temperature of the infant’s body, lie on her stomach. In this case, note that the baby’s knees should be touched by the chest. After this, apply a small amount of petroleum jelly on the thermometer bulb. After doing this, insert this thermometer from the anus of the infant to the beginning of the rectum with great care, about an inch inside. Carefully hold the thermometer for two minutes and take it out only when the thermometer sounds. Take out the thermometer very carefully and read body temperature readings.
2. To check the temperature from armpit
To measure the body temperature of the baby from the underarm, you have to take off his clothes. In this case, note that the baby’s underarms are dry and the thermometer should touch the baby’s skin continuously. The results of the temperature of the baby exposed in this way are less likely to be accurate than the results obtained from the anus. If your baby is under three months of age, then this method is not recommended by experts.
When the body of a baby fights with many types of bacteria and viruses, it gets a fever. Fever is also beneficial for your baby, it creates white blood cells in the baby’s body, which naturally works to fight infection. If you have a fever due to excessive clothing or heat, then take off some of her clothes and allow the baby to rest in a cool place. Apart from this, if your baby has a fever due to any other reason, you should consult your doctor about it.
What to do if your baby has a fever
To reduce your baby’s fever, doctors may prescribe some medicines, but it is advisable to give these medicines only to infants above 6 months of age. You need to be extra careful while giving fever medicines to your baby. While giving the medicine, also pay attention to the following tips.
- Give him a dose of medicine according to the weight of the baby.
- Do not give your baby more than the dose prescribed by the doctor.
- Avoid giving drugs like aspirin to your baby, as it increases the chances of having Reye’s syndrome.
Home remedies for baby fever
If your baby is less than one month old, then take him to the doctor if he has a fever. But you can adopt the following measures when your baby is one month old.
- Bath your baby with lukewarm water and check the warmth of the water with your palms once before bathing your baby.
- Dress your baby in lightweight clothes.
- Give your baby fluids as needed, so that there is no dehydration in his body. For this, you can give breast-feeding, electrolyte solution, or water,
- As far as possible, do not take your baby in very strong sunlight. Also, let him rest in a cool place in the house.
- If your baby has a fever, do not move the fan of his room too fast or keep the fan closed if possible.
When to take a newborn to the doctor
If your baby has a fever, if you see some of the symptoms mentioned below, see your doctor immediately.
- If your baby has a fever for more than 24 hours.
- To have a seizure.
- Difficulty in breathing of the infant during fever.
- Having diarrhea
- Rash for no reason.
- Baby becoming more lethargic or getting more sleep than usual.
- The baby’s body temperature is 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher.
What problems can occur if a child has a fever?
A number of complications can occur when a baby has a fever, some of which are described below.
Frequent fever –
In some cases, the baby has a fever for three to four days, and he again after this same number of days. This is when the infection is not completely cured and requires long treatment to be cured.
Fever without any symptoms –
In many cases, the baby may also have a fever without symptoms like cold, vomiting, cough, and diarrhea. In this, it is difficult to find out the exact cause of fever. In such a situation, you should seek medical advice to know the cause of fever.
febrile seizure –
Fever can also cause febrile seizures in your baby. In this situation, the baby’s body cramps. Along with this, in the symptoms of the Bukhari attack, the baby vomits, saliva, and eyes turn upwards.