After pregnancy, a question arises in the mind of every woman whether she will have a normal delivery or a cesarean delivery. Usually, doctors recommend a normal delivery. It is advisable to have a cesarean delivery if the pregnant woman or child is suffering from any physical problem.
However, the number of pregnant women who have opted for cesarean delivery to avoid pain at the time of delivery has increased rapidly over the years. According to data from the National Health Family Survey (2015-16), 28.3 percent of women in urban areas of the country have opted for C-section delivery in the last five years. At the same time, 12.9 percent of women in the rural and rural areas have delivered from C-section. Whereas, in the year 2005-06, the total cesarean deliveries (cesarean deliveries both in city and village) were only 8.5 percent.
Even though the process of normal delivery causes a lot of pain to pregnant women, it is considered better than cesarean delivery in terms of health. Today in this article of Homechildcare, we will try to answer the questions related to normal delivery.
What is the normal delivery?
It is a process of childbirth or delivery in which the baby is born in a natural way from the woman’s vaginal tract. If there is no medical problem during pregnancy, then the pregnant woman can have a normal delivery.
Factors that increase the likelihood of normal delivery
Below we are going to tell you about some factors that can increase the chances of normal delivery:
- If a pregnant woman has had normal vaginal discharge in an earlier pregnancy.
- A pregnant woman does not have any physical disease (eg asthma etc.).
- If the weight of a pregnant woman is normal.
- A pregnant woman does not suffer from any serious health-related problems during pregnancy.
- If a pregnant woman remains physically active during pregnancy.
- If the blood pressure, blood sugar, and hemoglobin in the blood of the pregnant woman are normal.
Note: The factors mentioned above do not guarantee normal delivery. These only increase the likelihood of normal delivery.
Signs and Symptoms of Normal Delivery
Yes, normal delivery can be estimated based on certain signs and symptoms. These symptoms usually start appearing in the pregnant woman’s body four weeks before delivery. These symptoms and signs are explained in detail below:
- Between the 30th week to 34th week of pregnancy, if the fetal head comes down, it increases the chances of normal delivery.
- The head of the fetus puts pressure on the vagina of the pregnant woman, causing the woman to urinate frequently. It may be a symptom of normal delivery.
- If a pregnant woman feels difficulty moving due to the fetal downward movement, it may be a symptom of normal delivery.
- As the delivery time approaches, the muscles of the pregnant woman become loose. Due to this, the woman may complain of thin stool. However, it can also be considered a sign of normal delivery.
Process of normal delivery
The process of normal delivery is divided into a total of three stages. Its first phase is also divided into three parts, which are explained in detail below.
The first stage of normal delivery:
1. Latent Process:
In a normal delivery, the latent process lasts a long time. In this, the cervix can open up to 3 cm. This process can begin a week before delivery or a few hours before delivery. During this time, the pregnant woman may also get intermittent contractions.
Tips for pregnant women undergoing a latent procedure:
- Relax and take care of yourself.
- Keep moving back and forth and drink plenty of water.
- Don’t be alone, keep someone with you.
- Start preparing to go to the hospital.
2. Active Process:
In the active process, the cervix opens up to 3-7 cm. During this period, there is severe pain due to contraction.
Tips for pregnant women undergoing active procedure:
- If the contractions start to intensify, then keep yourself relaxed and concentrate on breathing exercises.
- Have someone massage your shoulders. This will give you comfort.
3. Transition Process:
The cervix opens up to 8–10 cm in the transition process. During this time the contractions are continuous and the pain also increases.
Tips for pregnant women undergoing the transition process:
- If you are at home, ask the person there to go to the hospital.
- If the fluid is coming from the vagina, note its smell, color, etc. in one place.
- Stay calm and pay attention to breathing exercises.
The second stage of normal delivery – baby exit
During this time, the cervix opens completely and the contraction speed increases. In this stage, the baby’s head comes down completely.
At this time, doctors ask the pregnant woman to force herself. After doing this, the head of the baby comes out first. After this, the doctors take out the rest of the baby’s body.
Tips for pregnant women going through the second stage:
- During the contraction, you keep changing your position in between.
- Keep breathing regularly.
- Keep trying to push the child evenly.
The third stage of normal delivery – ablation of the umbilical cord
The doctor cuts the umbilical cord as soon as the baby comes out. In the third stage, the placenta (placenta) present in the uterus of the pregnant woman comes out. After the baby is born, the placenta also begins to separate from the uterine wall. A pregnant woman has mild contractions even during the separation of the placenta. These contractions can begin five minutes after the birth of the baby. The process of exiting the placenta can last about half an hour. For this, doctors also tell the pregnant woman to force herself.
Tips for pregnant women who have gone through the third stage:
- If the umbilical cord comes out completely, tell the nurse about it so that she can clean it.
- Then ask the nurse to do a light massage on your lower abdomen.
How long does normal delivery take?
The time is taken for normal delivery usually depends on the physical condition of the pregnant woman. If a pregnant woman is going to have a normal delivery for the first time, this process can take up to 7-8 hours. At the same time, if this is the second delivery of a pregnant woman, this process may take a little time.
10 tip to increase the chances of normal delivery
Any pregnant woman can increase the chances of having a normal delivery by adopting these tips given below:
1. Stay away from stress:
Pregnant women desiring normal delivery should try to stay away from stress during pregnancy. For this, they can meditate, listen to music, or read books.
2. Do not think of negative things:
Stay away from negative things during pregnancy. Do not pay attention to the hearsay and negative stories related to the delivery. Remember that every woman’s experience may be different. Therefore, do not create fear within yourself due to the bad experiences of others.
3. Get the correct information about delivery:
The right information removes fear. Therefore, try to get as much accurate information about delivery. This helps the pregnant woman to understand the process of childbirth well.
4. Stay with your loved ones:
The pregnant woman makes her emotionally strong. Therefore, always try to be with loved ones during pregnancy.
5. Choose the right doctor:
Sadly, some doctors recommend a cesarean delivery without any need for its benefit. In such a situation, the pregnant woman should choose the doctor very carefully for delivery. For normal delivery, it is necessary to choose a doctor who will give correct information about the condition of the pregnant woman’s body.
6. Hire an experienced babysitter for help:
Women seeking a normal delivery are advised to have an experienced midwife near them. Such midwives have a long experience of normal delivery, so they can prove to be very helpful for pregnant women during delivery. In addition, midwives are also well aware of the care that is given after the birth of the baby.
7. Massage the lower body regularly:
After the seventh month of pregnancy, pregnant women can start massaging their lower bodies. This makes delivery easier and also relieves stress.
8. Keep yourself hydrated:
Pregnant women should always keep themselves hydrated. They should drink plenty of water or juice. This facilitates normal delivery.
9. Take care of the correct seating position:
The condition of a pregnant woman from getting up and lying down has an effect on the baby growing in the womb. Therefore, they should always try to keep their body in the right position. As such, while sitting, they should sit with their back properly supported.
10. Control weight:
Weight gain is normal in pregnancy. However, the weight of a pregnant woman should not increase too much. Being overweight can cause problems during delivery. Actually, if the mother is too fat, then the baby has difficulty coming out.
Do’s and Don’ts for normal delivery
Eating and living habits of a pregnant woman greatly affect her health as well as the health of the baby. Below, we are going to tell you about some habits that are considered very important for normal delivery:
What should we eat?
Pregnant women should include dairy products, green leafy vegetables, dry fruits, non-fat meat, seasonal fruits, eggs, berries, legumes, etc. in their diet for normal delivery. Also, they should keep themselves hydrated by drinking lots of water throughout the day.
Exercise Tips for Normal Delivery
If the pregnant woman does not have any medical problems, then she is advised to exercise regularly during pregnancy. Exercising during pregnancy not only keeps the mother and baby healthy but also increases the chances of normal delivery.
Pregnant women are advised to do the following exercises:
- Visit regularly in the morning and evening.
- Swim for a while.
- Do some cycling
- Run lightly.
- If you want, you can also go to a pregnancy exercise class.
Note: Remember that the physical condition of each pregnant woman varies. Therefore, please consult a doctor once before starting any exercise.
What not to do
- Exercises like weightlifting, which puts pressure on the lower abdomen.
- Do not participate in sports like martial arts, soccer, basketball, etc.
- If you do not feel like exercising on any day, then do not exercise on that day.
- Do not exercise in case of a fever.
- Not do excessive stretching exercises.
- Do not exercise for long. This can make you tired.
Tips related to Yoga asana for normal delivery
If the pregnant woman does some specific yoga routine regularly, then the chances of normal delivery are increased. For normal delivery it is recommended to do the following Yogasanas:
Note: Remember that the physical condition of each pregnant woman varies. Therefore, please consult a doctor once before starting any yoga practice.
Benefits of the mother from normal delivery
- It does not take long to recover after delivery.
- At normal delivery, the mother immediately feeds her baby.
- Unlike cesarean delivery, normal delivery does not require any tearing. Therefore, the woman who becomes a mother does not have to bear any kind of pain after delivery.
Benefits of the baby from normal delivery
- At normal delivery, the baby is able to accompany her mother slightly earlier than the cesarean delivery.
- The child gets mother’s milk quickly. This reduces the risk of jaundice in the child.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does one know when to force a child to come out and for how long?
If the pregnant woman’s cervix (Cervix) has opened up to 10 cm, then it is time to apply force to bring the baby out. During this time, the pregnant woman starts to feel the pressure of the baby’s head between her legs. If a pregnant woman has taken an epidural injection, she may not have to exert too much. Apart from this, the delivery doctors also give instructions related to applying force to the pregnant woman.
Do I need to have an episiotomy?
Does a vagina need to be soldered after delivery?
If there has been a cesarean delivery before, can a normal delivery occur on the second pregnancy?
If a pregnant woman has twins in her stomach, can she have a normal delivery?
What are the complications in normal delivery?
Normal delivery is considered absolutely safe, but it can sometimes be accompanied by the following complications:
A sudden breakdown of the placenta.
- The head of the fetus comes out first.
- Incidence or increase in baby’s heartbeat.
- Too much bleeding.
- A quick burst of the water bag
If there is any such complication, the doctor may decide to have a cesarean delivery immediately.
How much does normal delivery hurt?
When to start perineal massage?
How to do perineal massage:
Sit at a secluded place with the support of the wall. Keep your feet in front while sitting. If desired, you can also put some comfortable pillows behind your back.
- Wash hands thoroughly and applies some oil on fingers.
- Now put the thumbs of both hands inside the vagina for about 2.5 centimeters and keep the rest of the fingers on the buttocks.
- After this, gently massage the inner part of the vagina with the thumbs.
- Pregnant women are advised to do a perineal massage for five minutes.
We hope that after reading this article you will have got answers to all the questions related to normal delivery. If you are still having some questions, then write your question in the comment box below. Also, if any of your friends or relatives are worried about normal delivery, do not forget to share this article with them as well.
1. नेशनल हेल्थ फ़ैमिली सर्वे (2015-16)
2. Natural birth by Ione Brunt, US National Library of Medicine
3. Safe, Healthy Birth: What Every Pregnant Woman Needs to Know by Judith A. Lothian
4. What are the stages of labor? | National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
5. Pregnancy – Labor by Cedars-Sinai