Now your child has already crossed half of his first-year journey. Your six-month-old baby is growing faster now. Now his eating and sleeping pattern will be better. Since your baby is developing very fast at this time, you will see many changes in his body.
Now for the first time this month, you can feed your baby solid foods. You will see small teeth in your baby’s lower jaw. This means that he will now make more voices. As the teeth begin to form, it will become easier to form words and soon you will be able to hear the first words from the baby’s mouth.
It is important to feed the baby a few solid things, but feeding it properly is more important. You have to feed him with mashed bananas to mashed rice so that you know what the baby is looking for.
When the teeth of the baby are coming out, then there are many complications. There will be a pain in your baby’s jaw and he will chew it in the mouth to reduce it. At this time you can give him such toys, which chewing does not harm the baby.
Breastfeeding will have to be done even in the sixth month because now it will take time for the baby to get used to solid food. In this case, you have to take good care of yourself.
This month, the baby will be given a third set of vaccinations for whooping cough, rotavirus, and polio. It is very important to have a complete checkup of the child’s body.
All the things related to how to take care of a six-month-old baby are explained further in this article.
Development of the six-month-old baby
By this time your baby’s weight will have doubled since its birth. The coordination of his muscles and brain would have been better. Your baby will be more active and spend more time playing. Now the child’s vision will also have developed well and will start listening more. By this time, you will see that the child will respond well to the voices and will sometimes mimic you.
During this time the baby chews everything, which makes breastfeeding more difficult. This is the stage when you can start feeding solid food to the child. This will gradually make him / her habit of eating what you eat.
Six-month-old baby weight
It is important to note that all children develop in the same way and pre-mature children usually develop slowly. Development takes place very rapidly from the fourth month of birth to the sixth month, but after this, the process slows down.
At this time your baby boy will be up to 7.9 kg, while your baby girl will be up to 7.5 kg. If your child weighs a little more or less than that, then there is no need to worry about it. But if you are still worried about it, you can talk to a doctor.
Baby brain and muscle coordination
Now your baby will be able to sit without any support or with a little support. He will make efforts to elevate himself.
In the fifth month, the baby will be able to move around on its belly. He will be able to progress further in the sixth month. Now he will be able to rotate on the stomach or waist.
By this time, babies can start walking on their stomachs. Now he can lift his weight. The baby may appear to bounce while eating or playing.
By this time, if he gets hold of things and comes well, then by picking up toys or other things, he can also bang around.
Development of the eyes of a six-month-old baby
Your baby’s eyes have grown a lot in the last few months. Now he can concentrate more on things. Now the baby’s eye coordination will also be fine and he will be able to focus on any one object.
Now your child will start recognizing faces and objects and will be able to create a good synergy of colors.
The baby’s hands and eyes have also improved, which will make playing for him more enjoyable.
Now you can help the child develop his eyes by showing different colorful picture books, talking to him, taking him to new places. This will allow him to see different pictures, understand them.
Communication skills of the infant
By this time, your baby’s hearing ability has become more developed and now he will be able to recognize your voice better. In the sixth month, your baby will start catching things. Now he will be able to understand how the sentence is being formed by the word. By this time he will be able to mimic your voices.
At this time your baby is in the initial stage of learning to speak, so you can help him by repeating the words and talking to the child as much as possible. This is the time when a child should be introduced to more people so that he can understand new voices as well.
Development of teeth of a 6-month-old baby
At this time your baby’s teeth have started coming out. The front teeth of the lower jaw are first seen. After this, the first top tooth will come. Before the tooth comes out, some such symptoms will appear in the baby’s body, which shows that the baby’s teeth are going to come. Some of them are the following, which should get your attention –
- swelling in gums
- Behave irritably
- Take everything in the face
- Change eating habits
- Sleeping problem
- Diarrhea, fever, rashes (unusual symptoms)
If your baby shows diarrhea, fever, or skin rashes, you should immediately take him to the doctor. Since the process of getting a tooth is painful and it is a long process, during this time you have to take good care of your baby’s cleanliness, so that there is no problem of any kind. You can take the following steps –
- Give your baby toys that can be chewed, but make sure they are hard rubber and safe
- Always clean any toys the child chews with warm water
- Keep fangs and germs away from your baby
- You can keep chewing toys and vegetables like cucumbers, carrots, etc. in the freezer for your baby. Cold temperatures reduce the risk of inflammation
- Massage your baby’s gums with your finger. You can use coconut oil or olive oil for this.
- Do not give numbing gels or toothache medicines, as they are not safe. The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) states that these drugs contain belladonna, which can cause toxicity to the baby’s body.
What to feed a six-month-old baby
In the sixth month, the baby’s stomach also starts developing well and in this, you can help him by feeding him solid food. In many countries, including India, there are many customs associated with feeding a child. Boiled and mashed rice is first given to the baby in India. Remember that this is a new experience for your baby, so do not try to force-feed him without his will. Some things should be kept in mind before giving solid food to the baby which are as follows –
- Children usually eat sweet first, so you can start by feeding your baby with mashed bananas, carrots, rice, apples, etc. In addition, you can also give him lentil water, it is very nutritious. Keep in mind that the food is well cooked and mashed.
- Do not add sugar to your baby’s food. Give him only natural sweet things like fruits etc. This will make your baby habit of eating healthy food and will also stay away from sugar.
- There are many baby foods in the market but do not take them without asking the doctor. Most packaged foods are preservative and sweetened on top. This can cause problems for your baby. It is better that you give priority to homemade food in the first year.
- Do not give honey to your baby before he turns one year old. This can cause botulism to the baby.
- Feed your baby with a spoon and take care not to overfill the spoon. Feed little by little, so that he knows the taste and does not take the food out of the mouth or get stuck in his throat.
- Talk to your baby while feeding. Eat with or in front of your baby, especially when you are eating any fruit or vegetable. This is a good way to instill the habit of the child.
- Do not feed your baby without his / her will. Do not insist on finishing it completely, rather feed him as per his wish.
- Since the digestive system of the baby is changing at this time, it is normal for the child to have diarrhea, constipation, and pass gas. Stay in touch with the doctor and if symptoms appear to be severe, see a doctor immediately.
- It is not that your baby does not need milk anymore. Until your baby is completely dependent on food for nutrition, keep breastfeeding him.
Breastfeeding a six-month-old baby
When you are starting to give solid food to the baby, you can gradually stop breastfeeding. Try not to abstain from breastfeeding suddenly, as it may affect the health of both mother and baby.
According to the World Health Organization, babies should be breastfed well in six months after birth and should continue to breastfeed until they are one year old. Once the baby gets into the habit of eating, the need for breastfeeding will decrease by itself. If you cannot breastfeed for any reason or you are having trouble breastfeeding, then you can also start formula milk. However, the formula milk available in the market does not contain the antibodies that are in a mother’s milk.
Breastfeeding supplies water to infants, so there is no need to give them water. If the doctor says, you can make the baby water yellow now. Make sure that the water is boiled or filtered. Do not give packaged juice to your child, as they contain sweetness and preservatives.
Also read-How to care for a 2 month-old baby
How a six-month-old baby sleeps
By the sixth month, many children start sleeping all night. With this, you also get small sleep two to three times a day. This brings relief to the parents, but also keep in mind the danger of SIDS. Especially now because the child can move on the stomach even while sleeping. Wherever he is sleeping, the place should be absolutely safe. Do not keep any toys, pillows or blankets, etc. around it.
Teeth can also affect the baby’s sleep. If the child wakes up while sleeping, he can soothe him by giving him a nipple, frozen toy, or massage on his gums.
Six-month-old baby vaccines in India
The third dose of vaccination is given to the infant in the sixth month. These are given for the following diseases –
- Pneumococcal Disease (PCV 13)
- Diphtheria, tetanus and whooping cough (pertussis) (DTAP)
- Haemophilus influenzae type B (HIB)
- Polio (IPV)
Hold the baby well during vaccination, so that it feels safe and does not move when injected. Reactions may occur after injections in infants. Such as fever, skin rashes, and swelling in the injected area. These symptoms are temporary. They can be cured by applying ice packs, breastfeeding, swaddling (wrapped in cloth). Twenty four hours after the injection, the baby may not want to eat anything and this is very common. However, if any of these symptoms appear to be increasing then you can see a doctor.
Things to keep in mind for a six-month-old child
Now, since your baby is six months old, his brain and muscles have got a good synergy. At this time it is necessary that you remove such things from the home from the reach of the child, from which he can harm himself. Now the time is not far when the baby will be seen kneeling all over the house. But until this happens, the following things are worth noting –
- Keep things out of reach of the baby that are easily broken or sharp. Keep electrical sockets and wires away from the child.
- Try and take care that the child does not hurt himself by falling from anywhere. Do not leave your baby alone during this time.
- Sleep in a room with the child, but do not sleep on the same bed. Adult beds are not suitable for infants.
- During this time, your baby tries to chew everything because of the tooth coming out. So keep in mind that the toys he chews should be disinfected.
- Now you are feeding your baby solid food, so keep in mind that the food is cooked well and not too hot.
Separation anxiety for 6 months old child
You and your family are engaged in a special relationship with your baby. Now your child knows how much he depends on you. This makes you feel insecure whenever you or other members of your household are not near the child.
No need to worry about it. By showing your child that you are going away for a short time and you will come soon, it will be easy.
- If the baby starts crying as soon as you leave, then get away from it and get used to it. So that your child knows that you are going to come back.
- Every time you leave the house, speak to him/her so that he/she knows that you are going to leave. This will make you have a positive relationship with your baby. Whenever you go you will cry and it will slowly become a habit. Whenever you go, leave a toy, etc. with it (make sure the toy is safe).
- Some children may have separation anxiety at night, which may cause them to sleep. They can wake up several times at night. Try to calm the child and make him feel his presence. Bash the baby, sing to him, and let him sleep in the cradle. In any case, it is not a good solution to put the baby to sleep with it, it can cause the child to choke.
By the time the baby is two to three years old, you are not in front of him, then he knows that you will come and he does not cry. This helps to overcome separation anxiety. Until then, be patient and show love with the child.
How to take care of yourself with a six-month-old baby
Now that your baby is six months old, you can sleep all night. At this time you can sleep better than before. Keep in mind that you are eating properly and exercising. Go out, meet friends, and have a balanced diet. This will boost your confidence.
If you are a working woman, by now you can go back to your work. In such a situation, keep in mind that after coming home you spend enough time with the child. To make the child happy, do not buy him toys nor give him everything he demands. This may cause behavioral problems in the future.
- At this time, your baby’s teeth are coming out and if you are still breastfeeding, then it is possible that the baby may beat you by drinking milk. Here are some things that you can protect yourself from harm –
- Give your child chew toys, especially frozen toys, before feeding. You can also massage your baby’s gums before or during breastfeeding.
- The baby who knows the right breastfeeding technique does not bite the breasts. Note that the baby is holding the breasts properly.
- The baby can still bite the breasts when it has been weaned. Pay attention to this and do not breastfeed after it is full.
- Generally, your attention should be entirely on the baby while breastfeeding. At this time you should not get involved in any other work like watching TV, talking on the phone, etc.