Hair turning white is one of the signs of aging. Normally, the condition of hair color changes after the age of 30 years. Initially, the hair color changes to light gray and then gradually to white. With the changing environment, this problem is starting to appear even in small children. The reason for this can be many. Given this seriousness of the subject, in this article of homechildcare, we will introduce you to all the causes of white hair in children. Along with this, we will give detailed information about preventive treatment and remedies.
So before we talk about other things let us take a look at the main reasons why children have white hair?
Also, read- When do babies grow hair-Tips and home remedies
Reason to have white hair in children
The dark color of hair is due to a special element called melanin present in them. When this melanin begins to decrease with age, the hair is white. There are many reasons, which become the reason for its premature decrease. These are seen as the main reasons for children having white hair. Let us now know about all the conditions that can cause the hair to become white in children.
Heredity has been considered to be the main and important reason for hair becoming white in children. A research published on the website of NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information) shows information related to this relationship. According to research, children whose parents are seen to have white hair problem in childhood, there is a possibility of this problem in those children also. At the same time, it is also natural that children get certain diseases from their parents due to heredity, which can increase the risk of having white hair such as – Weak immunity or age-fasting disease, Progeria and Pangeria.
Due to not being able to pay proper attention to the food and drink of children, nutritional deficiency can occur in children. This nutritional deficiency can cause hair to turn white at an early age. Melanin is said to be affected due to the lack of copper, iron, calcium, and zinc along with vitamin D and vitamin B-12, which is the natural color of hair. In this way, the depletion of melanin due to nutrient deficiency can also cause hair to turn white.
Causes of special diseases
- Some special diseases may also be responsible for the white hair of the children, some of which are as follows.
Griscelli – a problem of hypopigmentation (changes in skin and hair color) caused by a lack of immunity.
- Chediak– Higashi – A disorder related to the immune system, in which changes in skin and hair color appear as an effect.
- Elejalde Syndrome – A disorder related to the nervous system, in which a change in skin and hair color may appear as a symptom.
- Angelman – a gene-related disorder in which the nervous system is mainly affected.
- Prader – Willi Syndrome – a gene-related disorder in which the patient constantly experiences hunger.
- Phenylketonuria – This is a metabolic disorder. In this disease, a certain amino acid called phenylalanine cannot be metabolized. Due to this, the amount of phenylalanine starts increasing in the patient’s body.
- Histidinemia – This is a metabolic disorder. In this disease, the body is unable to metabolize histidine amino acids. Due to this, the amount of histidine amino acids in the blood increases.
- Vitiligo – A problem in which the patient’s skin starts to turn white in different places.
- Chemical-rich hair products – According to experts, the effect of chemicals on the hair can exhibit many side effects. These include the hair becoming white. For this reason, excessive use of chemical-linked hair products can also cause hair to turn white in children.
- Other reasons– The reasons for hair becoming white in children include some conditions related to ultra-violet rays from the sun, pollution, mental stress, and inflammation. According to experts, these conditions cause melanin in hair due to oxidative stress in the person. This causes the hair to gradually turn white.
Is any treatment possible when the hair of the children is white?
As you have already read in the article above, there can be many reasons why children have white hair. Because of this, no comprehensive treatment of this problem is available. Yes, it is of course that the treatment of certain diseases and the supply of nutrients can help reduce the growing effect of hair whitening to a great extent. Therefore, it is important that with the help of a doctor in this regard, proper steps should be taken towards treating the main cause of the problem.
9 home remedies for children’s hair when they are white
If the condition of the hair becomes white in children, it can be relieved to some extent by adopting these home remedies.
1.Nutritious food intake
In case of nutritional deficiency, give the child a nutritious diet. Especially nutritious foods like iron, vitamin B, sodium, and copper. Consuming such foods can help in getting relief from this problem by fulfilling the deficiency of these nutrients in the body. Therefore, it is important that children are given a balanced and nutritious diet.
2.Antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables
oxidative stress can also cause the problem of hair whitening by reducing melanin. Therefore, the use of antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables such as – dried apples, okra flour, red cabbage, mango, dates, guava, dried apricot, and beetroot may prove beneficial.
3.Coconut oil massage
Research by the Government Medical College of Haryana found that coconut oil can prove beneficial in the problem of white hair. According to research, coconut oil massage helps increase blood circulation in the scalp. By this, the glands that deliver melanin in the hair can become active and help reduce the problem of white hair.
4.The paste made from curry leaves
Grinding the curry leaves used in home spices and applying this paste can also help in reducing the problem of hair whitening. A research conducted by the International Journal of Pharma Tech Research also confirms this.
Amla consumption can also be very helpful in getting relief from the problem of white hair. Indeed, according to experts, amla helps in strengthening the hair by helping in the absorption of calcium, as well as it can also help in maintaining the natural color of the hair.
6.Folic acid-rich substances
According to the National Institute of Health, a deficiency of folic acid may be one of the main reasons for hair whitening. In such a situation, it can be said that the consumption of folic acid-rich substances can give relief from this problem. Let us know, foods containing folic acid include peas, beans, nuts, and eggs, which can be used.
In some situations, iodine deficiency can also cause white hair in children. In this case, carrots and bananas can be used as a good source of iodine.
A paste made from the leaves of Bhringraj – according to research published on the NCBI website, Bhringraj has been considered a hair tonic. Many such elements are found in it, which help to overcome the problem of hair loss. It also promotes hair growth. At the same time, there is also a mention in research that a paste made from the leaves of Bhringraj can also give relief from the problem of white hair.
8.Use of Reetha
In Ayurveda, Reetha is used as a medicine to maintain the health of the hair. The water of soaked reetha helps in hair growth by removing the problem of hair loss. Also, its use can also relieve the problem of white hair (10). For this, soak Ritha in water overnight and massage the head with it in the next morning. After the massage, wash your head with shampoo.
The use of pomegranate bark can also provide relief to a large extent from the problem of white hair. For this, boil one spoon of pomegranate bark in about 300 mL coconut oil for about 15-20 minutes. Later filter this oil and keep it in a box. Use this oil prepared from pomegranate bark for regular hair massage.
In the next part of the article, we will show some ways to prevent the problem of hair whitening in children.
How to protect children from the problem of hair becoming white?
Here are some ways to prevent children’s hair becoming white.
- Lack of nutrients is one of the reasons why hair is white. Therefore, keep away from junk food and instill a tendency towards a nutritious diet in children.
- A genetic disease can also be the cause of hair turning white. In such a situation, if there is any genetic disease in the child, then contact the doctor without delay and move towards treatment as soon as possible, so that the problem can be prevented as soon as possible.
- There can be a problem with hair becoming white due to pollution. Therefore, take special care of the cleanliness of children and make every effort to protect them from pollution.
- Ultraviolet rays can also cause hair whitening. Therefore, do not let children stay in the sun for too long.
- Mental stress is also one of the reasons why hair is white. Therefore, always talk to children lovingly and try to protect them from any mental pressure.
frequently asked Questions
“White hair grows more than breaking white hair.” This is simply a prevalent rumor. Actually, the lack of melanin in the hair is due to the hair becoming white.
It is not possible to naturally darken the gray hair. Yes, this problem can definitely be prevented from increasing by meeting nutritional deficiencies.
In the article, we have told that chemicals can cause damage to hair. Also, children’s skin of the scalp is very delicate. For this reason, children are not advised to dye. Yes, due to the fact that more hair is white, you can see its effect on the mind of the child, then you can use a natural dye with the advice of a doctor.
Deficiency of vitamin D and vitamin B-12 can cause the problem of hair whitening.
You must have realized by now that white hair is not common in children. Lack of nutrients or any serious disease can be the reason. In such a situation, you should go to the doctor without delay, so that the root cause of the problem can be found out. At the same time, if you feel that negligence in eating and drinking can be the reason for this, then you can adopt the home remedies and methods suggested in the article.
If you have any suggestions for white hair, then you can reach it through the comment box below without any hesitation. Also, for other information, you can ask your questions in the comment box.
1. Aging changes in hair and nails By MedlinePlus
2. Premature Graying of Hair: Review with Updates By NCBI
3. Causes & treatment of White or gray hair in children, teenagers &young people By Academia
You Can Buy